1 . PRESIDENT RECEIVING LESS SALARY THAN OFFICIALS !
SOURCE – HINDU
- The President and the Vice- President continue to get salaries less than top bureaucrats and the chiefs of the armed forces, because the laws are yet to be amended to rectify an anomaly in the implementation of the Seventh Pay Commission recommendations.
- More than a year ago, the Home Ministry prepared a plan for increasing the salaries of the President, the Vice-President and the Governors and forwarded it to the Cabinet Secretariat for the approval of the Union Cabinet. But no decision had been taken yet.
- At present, the President draws Rs. 1.5 lakh a month, the Vice-President Rs. 1.25 lakh and a Governor Rs. 1.10 lakh.
- After the Seventh Pay Commission’s recommendations were implemented on January 1, 2016, the Cabinet Secretary, the country’s top-most bureaucrat, gets Rs. 2.5 lakh a month and a Secretary in the Union government Rs. 2.25 lakh.
- The President is the supreme commander of the Army, the Indian Air Force, and the Navy. But his salary is less than those of the chiefs of the three forces, who earn a sum equivalent to the Cabinet Secretary’s.
- The plan to increase the President’s salary to Rs. 5 lakh, the Vice-President’s to Rs. 3.5 lakh and a Governor’s to Rs. 3 lakh is pending with the Cabinet.
2 . MAKING CASTEIST REMARKS ON SC/ST OVER PHONE IN A PUBLIC PLACE IS A OFFENCE – SC
SOURCE – HINDU
- The Supreme Court has ruled that using casteist remarks over phone in a public place against the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe category amounts to criminal offence, warranting a jail of a maximum five years.
- The apex court refused to stay criminal proceedings and quash an FIR against a person, who allegedly used derogatory casteist remarks over phone to a woman from the the SC/ST category.
- A bench of Justices J. Chelameswar and S. Abdul Nazeer declined to interfere with the August 17 order of the Allahabad High Court, which rejected the plea of a Uttar Pradesh resident, seeking quashing of the FIR against him by the woman.
- It dismissed his plea saying he has to prove during the trial that he had not talked to the woman over phone in a public place.
- Advocate appearing for the accused, said that at the time of the said conversation, both the woman and his client were in different cities and it could not be stated that it was in public view.
- He said that section 3(1)(s) of SC/ST Act relates to a person, who abuses any member of a SC or ST by caste name in any place “within public view“.
3 . GIRISH KARNAD GOT TATA LITERATURE LIVE ! LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 2017
- Actor-playwright Girish Karnad was on Sunday conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award for his outstanding contribution in the field of theatre at the eighth edition of Tata Literature Live!
- Past recipients of the Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award, a recognition instituted to celebrate and salute outstanding contribution to the Indian literary space, include legendary writers Amitav Ghosh in 2016, Kiran Nagarkar in 2015, MT Vasudevan Nair in 2014, Khushwant Singh in 2013, Sir VS Naipaul in 2012 and Mahashweta Devi in 2011.
4 . LOGISTICS GETS INFRA STATUS
SOURCE – ECONOMIC TIMES
- The government has granted infrastructure status to the logistics sector, making it easier for companies operating cold chains, industrial parks and warehousing facilities to raise long-term credit from banks and other financial institutions at low rates, and attract foreign investment.
- The department of economic affairs through a notification has expanded the category of infrastructure sub-sectors to include transport and logistics, moving them from earlier sub-head of transport.
- The definition of logistics, according to the notification, includes industrial parks, warehouses, cold storages and transportation.
- High logistics cost has always been a worry for India as it impacts prices of goods in the country and price competitiveness of exporters.
- We believe that the infrastructure status will reduce the cost of capital in transportation and warehousing, thereby reducing the cost of logistics
- According to the government notification, multimodal logistics parks comprising inland container depot (ICD) with minimum investment of Rs 50 crore and minimum area of 10 acre come under logistics infrastructure.
- Also, a cold chain facility having an investment of at least Rs 15 crore as well as warehousing facility with investment of minimum Rs 25 crore would come under logistics infrastructure.
- The government has planned to set up 34 mega logistics parks across the country at investments of more than Rs 1 lakh crore.
- Other than transport and logistics, the list of infrastructure subsectors comprises energy, water and sanitation, roads, shipping, waterways, airports, rail tracks, communication, social and commercial infrastructure.