1 . International Gita Mahotsava-2017
Source – pib
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the International Gita Mahotsava-2017 today (November 25, 2017) in Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- He also laid the foundation stone of the Gita Research Centre at the Gita Gyan Sansthanam in Kurukshetra.
2 . Union Home Minister chairs 12th meeting of Standing Committee of Inter-State Council
Source – pib
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the 12th meeting of the Standing Committee of Inter-State Council (ISC), here today (25th Nov).
- The subjects discussed at the meeting included : Matters related to financial transfers from the Centre to the States; Goods and Services Tax; Structure and devolution of functions to local bodies; District Planning; Special provisions for Fifth and Sixth Scheduled Areas; Maintenance of communal harmony; Deployment of Central Forces; Migration issues; Police reforms; Criminal justice system and other internal security issues.
- The 11th meeting of the Standing Committee of ISC was held on 9th April this year after a gap of 11 years.
What is Inter-State Council ?
- The Inter State Council is an Indian constitutional body set up on the basis of provisions in Article 263 of the Constitution of India.
- The body was formed by a Presidential Order dated 28 May 1990 on recommendation of Sarkaria Commission.
- The Council is formed to discussing or investigating policies, subjects of common interest, and disputes, among states.
Inter State Council (ISC) and Standing Committee of ISC Reconstituted
- The Government has reconstituted the Inter State Council (ISC) and the Standing Committee of the Inter State Council under Clause 2 of the Inter State Council order,1990.
Composition of the newly constituted Inter State Council is –
1 . Chairman- Prime Minister
2 . Members
(i) Chief Ministers of all States.
(ii) Chief Ministers of Union Territories having a Legislative Assembly and Administrators of Union Territories not having Legislative Assembly.
3 . Six Union Ministers
New composition of the Standing Committee of the Inter State Council.
1 . Chairman- Minister of Home Affairs
2 . Members-4 Union Ministers and Chief Ministers of 7 States
The Standing Committee will:
(i) have continuous consultation and process matters for consideration of the Council
(ii) Process all matters pertaining to Centre State Relations before they are taken up for consideration in the inter-State Council.
(iii) Monitor the implementation of decisions taken on the recommendations of the Council and
(iv) consider any other matter referred to it by the Chairman/Council.
(v) The Standing Committee may, if necessary, invite experts and persons eminent in specific fields to have the benefit of their views while deliberation upon the related subjects.