1 . Distinguished Indologist Award 2017
Source – pib
- The third Distinguished Indologist Award has been conferred on Professor Hiroshi Marui of Japan.
- The Distinguished Indologist Award is a befitting recognition to all scholarly works, past and present, to discover the deeper essence of Indian thought and expression.
What is Indology ?
- Indology is the study of India, its multifaceted and ancient culture and civilization.
- Spiritual leaders and social reformers, from Swami Vivekanand to Raja Rammohan Roy, delved deep into the writings of Indologists and reminded Indians of their ancient heritage.
- The Indologists brought a new consciousness in India that ignited self pride.
- They became a bridge between India and the western world.
- This also encouraged many Indian scholars to take up Indology.
Indian-ness is characterized by inclusive pluralism; it is rooted in the principle of DHARMO RAKSHATI RAKSHITAH that is – Dharma or the virtuous order, which when protected, protects all without exclusion.
What is the Need For Indology ?
Today, we all live as a global community. There is greater need for mutual understanding. New ideas are shaping our daily lives. India is doing its best to explain the virtues of Yoga and Ayurveda for the well-being of humanity. Likewise, other nations and societies are making efforts to revive their traditional cultural expressions. In such a scenario, Indology assumes greater significance to promote better undertaking between peoples and to share what India has to offer to humankind.
What is Indologist Award ?
It is an annual award instituted by ICCR in 2015 .It carries prize amount of US$ 20000.
2 . Constitution of Fifteenth Finance Commission Notified
Source – pib
- The Government of India, with the approval President of India, has constituted Fifteenth Finance Commission in pursuance of clause (1) of article 280 of the Constitution, read with the provisions of the Finance Commission (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1951 w.e.f. 27th November, 2017.
- The Commission will make recommendations for the five years commencing on April 1, 2020.
Composition of the Commission
- This Commission will be headed by Shri. N.K.Singh, former Member of Parliament and former Secretary to the Government of India.
- Shri Shaktikanta Das, former Secretary to the Government of India and Dr. Anoop Singh, Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University shall be the members of the Commission.
- Dr. Ashok Lahiri, Chairman (Non-executive, part time), Bandhan Bank and Dr. Ramesh Chand, Member, NITI Aayog shall be the Part time members of the Commission.
- Shri Arvind Mehta shall be the Secretary to the Commission.
3 . 8th Indian Organ Donation Day
Source – pib
- Indian Organ Donation Day is organised by the National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization (NOTTO).
- In India it is mainly the living donors who are donating organs and only about 23% of the organ transplant is being done with organs obtained from the cadavers.
- There is a need to promote cadaver or deceased organ donation rather than relying on living donors in order to avoid the risk of commercial trading of organs and also to avoid the inherent risk to the health of the living donor.
- To curb organ commerce and promote donation after brain death the government enacted a law called “The Transplantation of Human Organs Act” in 1994 that brought about a significant change in the organ donation and transplantation scene in India.
4 . INSPIRE 2017
Source – pib
- The first edition of the International Symposium to Promote Innovation & Research in Energy Efficiency (INSPIRE 2017) was kicked off in Jaipur today.
- The five-day symposium is being organized by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) in partnership with The World Bank, and Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE).
- INSPIRE 2017 is an International Conference that brings together various stakeholders such as policy makers, innovators, financiers, influencers to showcase best practices in the sector.
- It provides a platform for energy efficiency community to discuss energy efficiency policies, market transformation strategies, emerging technologies, delivery and business-model driven transformations.