1 . Manufacturing activity improved in November to its highest level since October 2016
- Manufacturing activity improved in November to its highest level since October 2016 on the back of growth in new orders and output, a private sector survey showed.
- The Nikkei India Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index recorded a value of 52.6 in November, up from 50.3 in October. A value above 50 denotes an expansion in activity, while one below 50 implies contraction.
- Manufacturing companies observed a renewed increase in new export orders during November.
- Greater production requirements in November led to the fastest rate in employment creation since September 2012.
- A combination of higher order book volumes and a decrease in GST rates reportedly contributed to greater production.
2 . India re-elected to International Maritime Organisation Council
- India has been re-elected to the Council of the International Maritime Organisation under Category B at an assembly of the body at its headquarters in London.
- India secured the second-highest number of votes (144) from member-countries, just after Germany’s 146 and ahead of Australia’s 143.
- India has been one of the earliest members of the IMO, having ratified its convention and joined it as a member-state in the year 1959.
- India has been elected to the Council of the IMO ever since it started functioning, except for a two-year hiatus during 1983-1984.
- The IMO Council plays a crucial role in deciding various important matters within the mandate of the IMO, in relation to the global shipping industry and its work strategy and budget.
International Maritime Organization (IMO)
The International Maritime Organization (IMO), known as the Inter-Governmental Maritime Consultative Organization (IMCO) until 1982, is a specialised agency of the United Nations responsible for regulating shipping.
- The IMO was established in Geneva in 1948 and came into force ten years later, meeting for the first time in 1959.
- Headquartered in London, United Kingdom, the IMO has 172 Member States and three Associate Members