1 . Universal Health Coverage Day
- Universal Health Coverage Day is celebrated annually on December 12 and is promoted by the World Health Organization.
- December 12 is the anniversary of the first unanimous United Nations resolution calling for all nations to provide for their citizens affordable, quality health care.
- UHC is promoted as an instrument to help advance the more broadly conceived human right to health.
- Universal health coverage has been included in the new Sustainable Development Goals for 2015-2030, adopted by the United Nations.
- Labour Room Quality Improvement Initiative (LaQshya), a Safe Delivery Mobile Application for health workers who manage normal and complicated deliveries in the peripheral areas, has been launched recently.
- There is enough evidence that supports the fact that improving the quality of care in Labour rooms especially on the day of birth, is central to maternal and neonatal survival.
- LaQshya is expected to improve the quality of care that is being provided to the pregnant mother in the Labour Room and Maternity Operation Theatres, thereby preventing the undesirable adverse outcomes associated with childbirth.
- The goal of this initiative is to reduce preventable maternal and new-born mortality, morbidity and stillbirths associated with the care around delivery in Labour room and Maternity OT and ensure respectful maternity care.
3 . IWPSD 2017
- Solid State Physics Laboratory (SSPL) of DRDO is organising the 19th International Workshop on Physics of Semiconductor Devices (IWPSD 2017) jointly with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi in association with Society for Semiconductor Devices, Semiconductor Society (India) and Society for Information Display.
- It will be formally inaugurated on 12 December 2017 at IIT Delhi.
- The biennial event IWPSD is considered as a prominent international forum on Advanced Semiconductor Technologies.
- The event held in India provides an opportunity for Indian researchers to interact with internationally acclaimed experts.
- Scientists and academicians from international and national educational institutes, government laboratories and leading industries interact to discuss state-of-the-art in advanced semiconductor R&D.
- The workshop has always received wide international participation and serves as the principal forum for dissemination of semiconductor research in South Asian region.
- Semiconductor devices are used in the technological aids related to defence and space applications in addition to day-to-day consumer electronics.