1 . Special courts on cases involving politicians: Govt tells SC
- At least 12 special courts would be set up to decide cases involving politicians as accused, the Centre has told the Supreme Court.
- It has also sought more time to collect and collate data of pending cases against lawmakers across the country.
- Rs 7.8 crore has been allotted for the purpose.
- As per the scheme, “12 special courts for a period of one year” shall be set up to dispose of cases against politicians.
2 . Commit suicide, get Rs 1 crore: Is Delhi Govt setting trend, asks HC
- The Delhi High Court on Tuesday frowned upon the Delhi government’s decision to compensate the family of an ex-Armyman who committed suicide during the OROP agitation, saying “you are setting a trend–commit suicide and get Rs one crore compensation”.
- The court’s remark came over the decision conferring the status of martyr on the ex-Armyman, who allegedly killed himself by consuming poison over the One Rank, One Pension (OROP) issue in November last year, and giving Rs one crore financial aid and a job to his family.
- The court made the observation while rejecting two public interest litigations against the Delhi government’s decision to accord martyr status to Ram Kishan Grewal.
3 . Industrial output growth slows to 3-month low of 2.2 per cent in October
- Industrial production growth hit a three-month low of 2.2 per cent in October this year, mainly due to subdued performance of manufacturing and mining sectors coupled with a contraction in output of consumer durables.
- The factory output, measured in terms of the Index of Industrial Production (IIP), had witnessed a rise of 4.2 per cent in October 2016, data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) showed Tuesday.
- When compared on a monthly basis, the IIP grew 4.14 per cent in September this year.
- Industrial output rose by a meagre 2.5 per cent in April-October this fiscal as compared to 5.5 per cent in the same period of 2016-17.
- In October, growth in the manufacturing sector, which accounts for 77.63 per cent of the index, slowed to 2.5 per cent from 4.8 per cent a year earlier.
- During April-October, manufacturing grew by 2.1 per cent, down from 5.9 per cent in the same period last fiscal.
- In terms of industries, 10 out of 23 industry groups in the manufacturing sector have shown positive growth during October 2017 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year.
- The industry group ‘Manufacture of pharmaceuticals, medicinal chemical and botanical products’ has shown the highest positive growth of 23 per cent followed by 12.8 per cent in ‘Manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers’ and 9.7 per cent in ‘Manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products’.