- In the year 1987-88, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan(NYKS) was set up as an autonomous organization under the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to oversee working of Nehru Yuva Kendras.
- NYKS is the largest grassroots level youth organization; one of its kind in the world.
- It channelizes the power of youth on the principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation.
- Over the years, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan has established a network of youth clubs in villages, where Nehru Yuva Kendras have been set up.
- NYKS has targeted to identify areas of harnessing youth power for development by forming Youth Clubs, which are village level voluntary action groups of youth at the grassroots level to involve them in nation building activities.
- The implementation of programmes and activities of youth clubs is based on local needs and requirements by mobilizing resources from various government departments and other agencies, which include both national, State level and multilateral institutions.
Objectives of NYKS
1 . To involve the rural youth in nation building activities.
2 . To develop such skills and values in them with which they become responsible and productive citizens of a modern, secular and technological nation.
Vision of NYKS
Vision of the organization focuses on developing long term strategies for good citizenship and youth leadership at the grass root level. Youth Clubs are formed and encouraged to participate in sports, cultural and local development activities. Youth leadership is developed in the course of formation and sustenance of youth clubs.
Considering the fact that almost three-fourth of the Indian population is rural, the development of the nation as a whole depends on their progress and development. Besides, the demographic dividend that the country has enjoyed because of the larger segment of youth population, makes it almost mandatory for the largest youth organization like NYKS to take up more and more of such programmes as will promise empowerment of youth.