The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) launched the Atal Jyoti Yojana (AJAY) to illuminate dark regions across five states through solar power. It is a sub scheme under off –grid and decentralized solar application scheme of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt. of India.

Related image

Implementing agency

Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) has been entrusted to implement this initiative in a mission mode by March 31, 2018.

States covered

The rural, semi-urban and urban areas that face less than 50% grid connectivity in Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Odisha will be illuminated with solar LED street lights. These solar lights will be installed on major roads, markets, and public conveniences in remote areas to sustainably enhance the citizens’ quality of life.

Funding allocation

The total cost of the scheme is Rs 499.30 crore. MNRE will provide 75% of the cost of street lights and remaining 25% will come from Member of Parliament Local Area Development funds (MPLADS), Panchayat funds or Municipalities and other Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) Funds.