1. Marayoor Jaggery is produced in Idduki district in Kerala.
2. A New York-based NGO World Monument Fund has selected the Suranga Bawdi in the World Monument Watch list under the ‘Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau’.
About Suranga Bawadi:
Suranga Bawadi is an integral part of the ancient Karez system of supplying water through subterranean tunnels.
It was built by Adil Shah in Vijayapura in Karnataka
3. In an ETF, one can buy and sell units at prevailing market price on a real time basis.
4. CPs can be issued for maturities between a minimum of 7 days and a maximum of up to one year from the date of issue.
5. Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir)Order, 2019: Supersedes the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954 – All the provisions of the Constitution shall now extend to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
• It revokes the powers of Article 370 – It does not remove Art 370 (as removal of Article 370 requires a constitutional amendment), but effectively removes all power extended under the article.
• This revocation of Article 370 extends to Article 35A as well.
6. STATUS OF PENDING OF BILLS
A bill pending in state legislature does not lapse because of prorogation of the House – Article 196(3). When state assembly is dissolved –
(i) A Bill pending in Legislative Council which has not been passed by legislative assembly, does not lapse – Article 196(4)
(ii) A Bill pending in legislative assembly, or which having been passed is pending with the Legislative Council, lapses – Article 196(5)
(iii) A Bill passed by Legislative Council and pending in the Assembly will lapse
(iv) A Bill passed by the Legislative Assembly, when there is only one House, or passed by both Houses and pending assent of Governor or of the President does not lapse.
7. Green Credit scheme
• Forest Advisory Committee has approved the implementation of Green Credit scheme.
Key features of the scheme:
o It allows “forests” to be traded as a commodity.
o It allows the Forest Department to outsource one of its responsibilities of reforesting to non-government agencies.
8. India’s Cooling Action Plan (ICAP) has received appreciation from the UN on World Ozone Day.
Significance of ICAP:
o India is the first country in world to develop such a document.
• The goals stated in ICAP are:
o Reduction of cooling demand across sectors by 20% to 25 % by year 2037-38.
9. LOX METHANE ENGINE
• Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre of ISRO is developing 2 Lox methane-powered rocket engines.
• The ‘LOx methane’ engine uses methane as fuel and liquid oxygen as oxidizer.
• Can be synthesized in space (Methane can be synthesized using water and carbon dioxide in space).
• It is non-toxic. (Di-Methyl Hydrazine and Nitrogen tetroxide is said to be highly toxic)
• Higher specific impulse (read above for Specific Impulse).
• Easy to store
• Does not leave a residue upon combustion
• Less bulky
10. C-band operates within 4-8 Ghz.
• The C band is primarily used for voice and
Ku-band operates within 12-18 Ghz.
• Ku band is used typically for consumer direct-to-home, tele-education applications.
Ka-band operates within 26-40 Ghz.
• The Ka band is primarily used for two-way consumer broadband and military networks.